A leading supplier to the automotive manufacturing market, Somic America specializes in the manufacture of ball joints for suspension and steering systems.
Somic America is searching for a dedicated Control Arm Operator that is looking for an opportunity to join our fast paced, high volume manufacturing environment! Take this opportunity to join our team by applying today!
- Fast paced automotive manufacturing environment – Machining, Bending, Welding, Plating, and Assembly
- 18 Years in Wytheville – part of a Global company with over 100 years of experience
- Stable and growing customer base
- Extremely clean manufacturing facility
- Excellent medical and dental benefits – low cost to employees – benefits are effective the first of the month after the month hired – additional tobacco free discount
- STD/LTD Insurance at no cost to employee
- 401(k) contribution with company match
- Life insurance at two times annual salary at no cost to employee
- 10 Paid Holidays per year – eligible upon hire
- Vacation eligible during your first year
- Clothing allowance including safety shoes and safety glasses
- Quarterly incentive bonus
- Quarterly appreciation luncheon
- Must have a solid work ethic and the ability to work in a repetitive, fast-paced environment
Essential duties, responsibilities, and requirements: This position will require operators to be responsible for the entire rotation process which involves the following:
- The set up and operation of numerically controlled equipment to machine components to specifications.
- The set up and ability to maintain the tooling required for the machining process.
- The set up and operation of an automatic assembly cell for assembling components to specifications.
- Manage material flow of raw materials into the correct operator loading areas, as well as facilitate movement of finished goods from the assembly cell.
- Must promote positive teamwork!
The operator must promote and practice Safety First in all aspects of their duties. They must work in a safe manner and provide a safe work environment for themselves and their Somic family. They must report any unsafe conditions to their Supervisor immediately. They must understand the considerations of working in close proximity autonomous robotic equipment. Must uphold all ISO and OSHA standards.
The operator must complete hourly checks using manual gaging and standard measuring devices as required. In- Process Check Sheets must be followed to ensure their components meet the Quality Specifications. Operators must notify their Supervisor of any suspect material and take immediate action to contain materials line side.
Responsible for the operation of milling and machining cells in the SAI program. This occupation shall be responsible for the operation of a manufacturing system whose basic functions are precision milling and auto-drilling. Also responsible for performing the tasks described below in addition to those tasks specified in the Assembly Operator and Machining Operator job descriptions.
- Must be able to perform complex tasks in a highly specialized environment that requires the awareness and understanding of the interface of multiple machine functions.
- The system operator must take all training applicable to the operating system and pass an exit test assuring they have the necessary skills to successfully operate the system.
- Must have the knowledge or ability to successfully learn machine operating systems such as tool settings, spindle head interchange, cutting tool tracking system (as required), fire suppression system, general robotic knowledge including teach pendant familiarity, and advanced measuring systems knowledge.
- Must be able to understand drawings, understand geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, and possess experience measuring finished parts in conformance.
- Must be able to set up tooling, and set machine parameters.
- Must understand proper work-piece clamping and be able to perform fixturing changeovers and routine maintenance as required.
- Work alone and/or with other team members as needed, setting up and operating various machining and assembly centers.
- Distinguish material types and understand the varied machining characteristics.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
Two-year Machine Technology Certificate – desirable
Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization. Must be able to explain issues and report problems to Maintenance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Must be able to identify, analyze and evaluate material problems. Must be able to identify when and how to interact with PC, Engineering and Quality as required.
General Robotic Familiarization
3+ years’ experience with CNC milling