Join our team! Somic America, Inc. has an immediate opening for Material Handlers at our Wytheville, Virginia location (Progress Park).
2nd Shift: 3:00pm to 11:00pm; 3rd Shift: 11:00pm to 7:00am
Starting Rate: $13.07 (this rate includes $1.00 shift differential)
- Fast-paced manufacturing environment.
- Our processes include Manufacturing, Machining, Welding, Plating & Assembly
- Major product: Ball Joints for steering and suspension systems
- Wytheville, VA location established in 2000 – part of a Global company (Somic Ishikawa) with over 100 years of experience. Please see our website (www.somicamerica.com) for detailed information on our products.
- Stable and growing customer base
- Extremely clean manufacturing facility
- Job bidding process to switch jobs/shifts/advancement
- On-the-job training
- Traditional 3-shift operation
- Excellent medical and dental benefits – low cost to employees – benefits effective the first of month after the month hired – additional tobacco free discount
- STD/LTD Insurance at no cost to employee
- 401(k) contribution with company match
- Life insurance at two times annual salary at no cost to employee
- 10 Paid Holidays per year – eligible upon hire
- Vacation eligible during your first year
- Clothing allowance including safety shoes and safety glasses
- Paid 30 minute lunch break
- Brand new state of the art lunch room and employee lounge area with “market style” vending
- Perfect attendance bonus
- Quarterly incentive bonus
- Quarterly appreciation luncheon
- Must have a solid work ethic and the ability to work in a repetitive, fast-paced environment
- Attendance and punctuality is expected
- Must have high school diploma or GED – proficient in reading and writing
- 1+ Years of experience as Material Handler
- Responsible for the safe, damage free and accurate handling of materials within the plant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Operators will perform daily safety checks for Fork Truck/Tugger. This includes filling out daily check sheets.
- Material Handler will lift one tote/ box at a time, during any point of movement.
- Report any damage which may occur to Racks, Machines, Fork Truck, and Material.
- Maintains and provides a safe working environment.
- Perform daily 5S in assigned areas.
Material Handler is responsible for insuring AIM label/container movement tags are placed on each product. Other duties may be assigned in AIM.
- Responsible for entering all ASN sales out of MRP system daily.
- All production lines must be full of material prior to the beginning of the next shift, including raw forgings and plated housings.
- Responsible for filling all lines with proper components/empties and the movement of finished goods and PH product
- Assigns AIM numbers to all incoming material and places material in proper location lot
- Rotate all materials in accordance with first in first out (FIFO).
- Reads manifests, pulls orders, and ships orders, and checks paperwork for correctness ensuring quantities and product are accurate.
- Breaks down forging boxes, empties cardboard bins, and disposes of all trash.
- Moves finished goods to their proper location.
- Moves inspected material to proper location.
- Moves machined housings to shipping area for shipment to outside plating suppliers.
- Supplies empty shipping containers to their proper location.
- Support manufacturing in making bales of cardboard when baler is full.
- Cleans and organizes Return empty pallets, lids, and totes to designated location. (Remove old Kanban)
- Loads/unloads trucks, ensuring all incoming material is placed in proper location.
- Submit suggestions for improvements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED).
- 1+ Years experience as Material Handler
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The facility is not air-conditioned.